“Healthy soul & body through nature”
1st International Conference & Exhibition on Siddha Medicine (ICESM – 2018)
23rd – 27th February 2018
Collaborate with Ministry of AYUSH, India (in process) &
Dept. of Indigenous Medicine, Northern Province
The Siddha science is a traditional treatment system generated from Tamil culture. Palm leaf manuscripts say that the Siddha system was first described by Lord Shiva to his wife Parvati. Parvati explained all this knowledge to her son Lord Muruga. He taught all these knowledge to his disciple sage Agasthya. Agasthya taught 18 Siddhars and they spread this knowledge to human beings.
Siddha focused to “Ashtamaha Siddhi,” the eight supernatural powers. Those who attained or achieved the above said powers are known as Siddhars. There were 18 important Siddhars in olden days and they developed this system of medicine. Hence, it is called Siddha medicine. The Siddhars wrote their knowledge in palm leaf manuscripts, fragments of which were found in parts of South India & Sri Lanka. There is a huge collection of Siddha manuscripts kept by traditional Siddha families.
Agasthyar is believed to be the father of Siddha Medicine. Siddhars were of the concept that a healthy soul can only be developed through a healthy body. So they developed methods and medication that are believed to strengthen their physical body and thereby their souls. Through this spiritually attained supreme knowledge, they wrote scriptures on all aspects of life, from arts to science and truth of life to miracle cure for diseases.
From the manuscripts, the Siddha system of medicine developed into part of Indigenous medical system in Sri Lanka. Today there are unit of Siddha Medicine, run under the government universities in Sri Lanka, where Siddha Medicine is taught.
The unit of Siddha Medicine, University of Jaffna, has been teaching since 1984. Now the Unit is going to upgrade as an Institute of Siddha Medicine very soon. The Siddha community has not the platform to present their research presentations & findings. Therefore the Unit of Siddha Medicine has been organized the International Conference & Exhibition on Siddha Medicine (ICESM)-2018 collaborate withMinistry of AYUSH, New delhi, India and Department of Indigenous Medicine Northern Province.
- To enhance the knowledge of siddha Medicine among the Siddha community.
- To encourage the academics, practitioners and students to do research in related to the Siddha systems.
- To disseminate their research finding of the researchers in different fields
- To get worldwide awareness & recognition of Siddha medicine.
- To re-search the manuscript & traditional medicine in scientific way.
- To provide the knowledge about the siddha products, traditional food, habitat of medicinal plant, yoga and meditation to the public.
Theme of the year
“Healthy soul & body through nature”
National Research Sessions will be conducted under the following tracks,
- Research on manuscript & Traditional Medicine
- Siddha Medical Astrology
- Literature research & ancient system and medicines
- Research on Medicinal plant
- Quality control & standardization of Siddha drugs
- Geographical distribution (Ivagainilam) of diseases
- Clinical trials related to diseases, medicines & pharmacological studies.
- Dietetics ancient & modern perspectives.
- Yoga therapy
- Holistic approach of diseases, diagnosis & treatment.
- Research on external therapies &varmam
Venue – Unit of Siddha Medicine, University of Jaffna.
Dates – 23rd& 25th Preconference workshop
26th & 27th February 2018 Conference & Exhibition
Chairperson : Head/ Siddha Medicine (Dr. Mrs. V. Sathiyaseelan)
Convener : Dr. (Mrs.) K. Sounthararajan
Secretary : Dr. (Mrs.) A. Sritharan
Treasurer : Dr. (Mrs.) T.Kumutharanjan.
Editor : Dr. S. Sivashanmugarajah